By Jesse Muñoz/COC Sports Information Director
The College of the Canyons football program had 14 players named to the 2018 Southern California Football Association (SCFA) Scholar-Athlete Team.
To be eligible for inclusion on the SCFA Scholar-Athlete Team players must participate on their respective school's football team for two seasons, while successfully completing a minimum of 36 units. At least 27 units must be in academic courses (non-PE or collegiate sport activity). Scholar-Athlete team honorees must also achieve a GPA of at least 3.0.
"We could not be more proud of our SCFA Scholar-Athlete honorees," said COC head coach Ted Iacenda. "These young men have dedicated hours of hard work to their studies and understand that the true purpose of College of the Canyons football is for student-athletes to pursue both their academic and athletic goals."
The 14 honorees produced by COC tops the class of 11 Cougar players who earned Scholar-Athlete honors in 2017.
Representing College of the Canyons on the 2018 SCFA Scholar-Athlete Team are:
- Bryan Barrera, Linebacker— 3.11 GPA
- Jumpei Dobashi, Wide Receiver— 3.09 GPA
- Tofa Faingaa, Defensive Line — 3.0 GPA
- Shaddrick Lowery Jr., Defensive Back — 3.01 GPA
- Jeremy Lubin, Wide Receiver — 3.09 GPA
- Michael Nacnac, Defensive Back— 3.20 GPA
- Brody Padilla, Defensive Back — 3.04 GPA
- Jarrin Pierce, Wide Receiver— 3.28 GPA
- Gio Ramirez, Defensive Line — 3.01 GPA
- Raeshawn Roland, Defensive Back — 3.03 GPA
- Khalid Taylor, Defensive Back — 3.46 GPA
- Norio Thomas, Defensive Back — 3.20 GPA
- David Webb, Offensive Line — 3.26 GPA
- Brennan Williams, Defensive Back — 3.03 GPA
Additionally, Faingaa, Lowery, Pierce, Ramirez and Roland were named to the All-SCFA Team for their efforts on the playing field. Roland was a unanimous selection to the All-SCFA team.
A full list of 2018 SCFA Scholar-Athlete Team honorees is here.
"At College of the Canyons, academic support and achievement are the core tenets of our football program," said Iacenda. "We stress that winning on and off of the field are of equal importance.
The Cougars finished the 2018 campaign with an overall record of 10-1 and 5-0 mark in conference play to win the SCFA National Division, Northern League championship. The Cougars also qualified for the state playoffs for the first time since the 2013 season.
Stay up to date on all this season's action by following the College of the Canyons Athletic department on social media at @COCathletics on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube.