Story and photo by Jesse Muñoz/COC Sports Information Director
They say the third time is a charm, and for the newly formed College of the Canyons women's tennis program, that was certainly the case!
In its third match of the season on Tuesday, also the Western State Conference (WSC) opener, Canyons walloped Antelope Valley College 9-0 to claim the first win in school history.
The Marauders competed with only five players, meaning AVC was forced to forfeit one singles match and a doubles match.
"I was walking on air when I left here yesterday," said Figalan about her role in the program's historic first win. "It's pretty exciting being part of history in an inaugural year."
The doubles teams of Cranert/Figalan (8-2) and Wambolt/Best (8-3) were also victorious, representing the first such wins for the progam.
"In the match vs. Antelope Valley not only were we able to win, but they were all very lopsided scores, and that impressed me," LaBat said. "The girls knew they could win, and they went out and did it."
Full match results are listed below:
1. Jenny Cranert (COC) def. Janice Vidal (AVC) — 6-3, 6-1
2. Marisa Wambolt (COC) def. Viktoriia Beongova (AVC) — 6-0, 6-0
3. Leilani Figalan (COC) def. Jamie Jones (AVC) — 6-0, 6-1
4. Brienna Best (COC) def. Janice Thomas (AVC) — 6-3, 6-2
5. Genises Ordonez (COC) def. Alondra Collier (AVC) — 6-0, 6-1
1. Cranert/Figalan (COC) def. Vidal/Beongova (AVC) — 8-2
2. Wambolt/Best (COC) def. Jones/Thomas (AVC) — 8-3
Canyons (1-2) will next travel to face Santa Monica College at 2 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 8.
Stay up to date on all this season's action by following the College of the Canyons Athletic department on social media at @COCathletics on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube.